Grade 6 Science Curriculum
Science Process Skills
Scientific Method and Observations
- The students will become familiar with the steps of the scientific method, which we will use in every lab experiment we conduct throughout the school year. We will focus on developing detailed hypotheses (using if...then...because) and conclusions using data from the experiment.
- The students will learn to use a balance, graduated cylinder, thermometer, and meter stick to make accurate metric measurements.
- The students will learn to classify various objects based on their physical characteristics. They will also learn to make and interpret dichotomous keys.
The Living Environment
- The students will learn to compare and contrast plant and animal cell organelles, using a microscope.
- We will focus on importance of the body systems, their basic functions, and basic structure. We will cover the skeletal system, muscular system, immune system, circulatory system, respiratory system, digestive system, excretory system, endocrine system, and nervous system.